Fig and Caramelized Onion Jam:
- 4 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pint fresh figs, halved
- 2 cups Twomey Pinot Noir
Yukon Gold French Fries:
- 2 quarts canola oil
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, each cut into 6 to 8 wedges
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Wagyu Beef Burgers:
- 3 pounds ground Wagyu beef, 85/15
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices white cheddar cheese, optional
- 6 burger buns, split
Make the jam:
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onions, stirring vigorously. As soon as the onions begin to brown, reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes or so. Remove the lid and continue to cook until the onions are caramelized, about 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes of so.
- Add the figs and the Pinot Noir and simmer over medium heat until all of the wine is absorbed and the fig and onions have cooked into a thick, yummy jam.
Make the fries:
- In a soup pot, heat the oil to 300˚F. In batches, add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the oil and strain on a rack. (Return the oil to 300°F before adding the next batch.)
- Increase the heat of the oil to 350˚F. In batches, add the potatoes to the oil and fry until they reach a deep golden brown color. Remove from the oil, let drain for 10 seconds, and immediately season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
Make the burgers:
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium-high heat. Shape the burgers into 6 equal portions, making an indentation in the center of each patty with your thumb to prevent the patties from puffing on the grill.
- Grill the patties, turning once, until cooked to desired doneness. During the last minute of grilling place a slice of cheese (if using) on each patty and toast the rolls, cut-side down. Place the burgers on the buns and top with 2 to 3 tablespoons jam. Serve immediately with the fries.
source: Silver Oak